A brand which embodies Brazilian paths towards autonomy
The outstanding and assertive upwards pathway of a brand from basic to desirable : Havaianas, originally, a low income, cheap shoe.
A story started in 1962 as a purely functional rubber slipper, primarily addressing low income public. Good popularity as a mass-market brand until the early 90’s, when the brand faced critical declining sales. A bold, radical shift into a lifestyle, aspirational, fashionable yet democratic brand.
A new marketing strategy and a remarkable repositioning campaign:
- By betting on and exploiting Brazilian identity values to build brand new identity
- By recruiting local celebrities to wear the shoes and adopt the brand
- By launching the brand abroad and gaining aspirational value in Brazil out of its international success
- By endlessly diversifying colors and patterns, in a spirit of ‘collection’ that constantly renews consumer experience and bond (association with designers)
As claimed in the brands’ base line (“Todo o mundo usa”), an essential outfit for all social segments (“Everyone uses it”) around the world (“All the world uses it”) who want to enjoy life in a comfortable, sensuous and informal way.
Celebrities wearing Havaianas in Paris
A change made possible by the evolution of Brazilian society itself. Havaianas, the ambassador of a newly valorized ideal vision of Brazil:
New flexibility of hierarchical roles, that opens a new era of playing with codes. Valorization of social and ethnic hybridation, conveying the ideal of a democratic country without racial and social prejudices (one country for all). A brand that succeeded to capture and stage in a modern way the very heart of Brazilian identity values. The Havaianas Style: easiness, dynamism, pleasure, tolerance, freedom of movement, diversity, emotionality, conviviality, and sensuality.
A mythical icon of Brazilianness abroad : ‘always summer’ warmth, colorful and cheerful people, joy of life, vitality, sensuality. The use of the Brazilian flag: an international signature and a clever reference to Brazilian patriotism.
Semiotic analysis of Havaianas’ flagship
Simplicity and accentuated horizontality of the entrance through apparent absence of a door: a free way into an open public space, where everything can happen: conviviality, informality, easiness at improvisation, abolishment of hierarchy.
An entrance that works as a multi-sensorial transformation : a passage to a ‘magical’ bright space, lowered in relation to street, that reflects the brand’s spirit and its ability to surprise.
Lightness, freedom and transparence inside :
- Glass walls and sand colored floor
- Modularity and asymmetry of spotlights and shadows
- Predominance of natural materials, such as wood and stone
- Presence of exotic nature covering the wall
- Entry hall offering panoramic view of the surrounding
- Intense lighting as a sunny daylight
An appearance of non-built space, an airy ambience which values the blurring of boundaries, and enhances the feeling of a spontaneous vivid outdoor situation of always summer (street- beach surroundings).
Modularity in the composition combined with the open space induces visitors to explore the surroundings with a walkway throughout the diverse ‘corners’ of the store, and a journey throughout the story of the brand:
- The market place : a reference to brand’s origins and an idealized representation of Brazilian tolerance and democracy. Proud of brand’s history and modest roots. Informality, casualness and originality in displaying the product.
- Exports’ pride with exports collection displayed in a container…And exports successes exhibited in a glass ‘magical’ tube.
- Brand’s new creativity at the customization corner. Customization area in a lower floor level, which glamour is outlined through special illumination of the stair ways. Staged playfulness and experimentation with the rounding acryl element. A new vision of value : creativity and personal expression more than the product itself.
- The rainbow wall. Luminous colorful Havaianas displayed in a continuous spectrum of colors at the back rear , contrasting with the white wall with resemblance of a rainbow.
Rainbow as a powerful symbol of Generosity and richness of Brazilian nature and culture, openness to diversity and tolerance. Rainbow is also a sign for a new era of hope or of social change → the Brand pathway